Burgers are DELICIOUS, and with summer right around the corner there will be plenty of opportunities to fire up the grill. Keep these tips in mind from greatist.com to sizzle up some more flavor and health benefits!
- Swap plain, protein-rich Greek yogurt or smashed avocado in place of mayo for a healthier spread.
- Use whole-wheat breadcrumbs instead of white, or try ground nuts (such as hazelnut or almond) for a healthier filler that’s also gluten-free.
- Add fresh herbs to your burger for a healthy, low-calorie flavor-booster.
- Sneak more veggie servings into your day by tossing chopped spinach or other leafy greens (B vitamins!) into the burger mixture, or add as a topping.
- Spice up a burger with Sriracha, hot sauce, or chipotle-infused spreads for lots of low-calorie heat and a little metabolism boost.
- Choose healthy spreads and condiments for your burger from this list. Some of our favorites: mustard, homemade ketchup, or even homemade ranch.
- Go easy on the cheese. Skip the fat-free stuff, because “no fat” means it won’t melt easily. Instead, choose a small portion of your favorite kind, fat and all. If you’ve got a block of cheese instead of thin slices, try grating it for even coverage.